Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Updates, Changes, and Lessons Learned

Going less than a year between blog posts. I used to be hopeful to get one out every month, but since school started, I think one every 10-11 months is a reasonable goal.

I suppose I should start at the beginning. Fall semester came and went quickly. Nicholas had started his job as a recruiter with the Bradsby
Group, and I was spending my days nannying and my nights (and sometimes on into the early morning) at school.

We managed to have a little bit of fun in between all of this:



Nick's 31st Birthday/Labor Day Fest

Vampire Weekend @ Red Rocks

Rockies Game!















Rockies Fireworks Game (apparently the thing to do in Denver)


Oktoberfest (Denver style, sadly there wasn't time for a quick trip to Germany)

Football Sundays (sans Sports Books, it can still be fun!)

Halloween with Justin and Leah (4 Waldos + Open Bar = TONS of Fun)










Thanksgiving in California (Highlight was Baxter participating in the Family Scrabble Game)











Needless to say, before I knew it, I was holed up in study rooms with my school pals, memorizing the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and provisions of the Uniform Commercial Code in preparation for final exams. Nick and I both survived and despite coming down with the Flu From Hell, we were able to enjoy the holidays/my birthday with family and our friends.



Bradsby Group Christmas Party
Christmas Eve PJs!

New Years Eve

The Spring has been just as much of a whirlwind of activity. After a beautiful and relaxing (all except the running 13 miles part) weekend in Scottsdale, AZ to run the Phoenix Half Marathon, I jumped into the summer clerkship hunt. Lots of suits, lots of networking, and lots of interviews. I'm sure I complained at the time, but in retrospect, it was a wonderful experience and I was lucky enough to land a great job at White and Steele, a firm in downtown Denver. I start May 23rd, and on top of getting the opportunity to do work that I'd like to do in real life, I'll be just a couple blocks from Nick's office, and a short 16th Street Shuttle ride over to Coors Field. Not a bad gig for the summer time, not bad at all!

Other highlights of the Spring/early Summer:
Half Marathon # 2 with Tiffany, Nick and Danielle
(only training was Yoga, and I still managed to clock in at a decent time - yay!)


My First Nuggets Game!


I can officially become a Colorado resident because I now own a Subaru.



Law Prom! (Official Name = Barristers Ball, but essentially, Prom for grownups!)


Nick thinking my denim jacket was the perfect touch for his outfit @ Justin's birthday party. Considering the debacle that Justin's birthday was last year (vegas + bottles + not in law school), this may or may not have been the first time.

Now on to some exciting updates!

On top of the new job, we'll be moving into our own apartment this June! We're taking a quick trip to Las Vegas to collect furniture, and best of all, Jill Pants! Kudos to Nicholas for not letting me go too crazy while on the hunt for the perfect home. We'll be living in the Uptown neighborhood of Denver, which is less than a mile from both of our offices, and filled with great bars, restaurants, etc. Most importantly, we are walking distance from just about everything that is necessary. We can't wait to have all of our fabulous friends and family come visit - and now, no hotel room necessary!
Front entrance to the condo building, interior photos to come in June!

Finally, pending an agreement on how to sort out this whole "how do we split up $9 Billion," the Patriots will be playing the Broncos on 12/18/2011. I would LOVE to have as many Pats fans as possible in town for this momentous occasion. Tickets are scheduled to go on sale July 10th, so mark your calendars and be on the look out for more details from moi! First to respond gets dibs on the guest room at Casa De Nick and Rachel :)

Lessons Learned this Year:
- Nicholas does NOT enjoy the snow (unless he is safely indoors, or in the mountains, on a snowboard)
- Yoga is in fact excellent exercise that I enjoy. Weird.
- Always follow the parking meter time limits AND instructions for WHERE to park in Denver.
- 27 is old enough to be called "Mom" by classmates. Super.
- 27 is TOO old to pull all nighters successfully.
- Denver drivers are overly cautious UNLESS there is bad/dangerous weather.
- Making new friends is pretty great
- Rear Wheel Drive + Snow + Ice = Most likely stuck wherever your car is.
- DIA is too far from the city.
- Joining school activities/clubs does NOT stop at Undergrad...


That is all for now. We are looking forward to an exciting Summer. On tap so far:
- Moving/turning Jill into an Uptown Puppy
- Playing in a volleyball league
- Watching Justin and Leah get married!
- LOTS of Rockies games
- Hitting up all of the great local breweries
- Golfing
- Visitors
- Great weather (the awesome thing about Denver is...)


No comments:

Post a Comment